For the past several years I have struggled with various levels of burn out, I've talked a bit about it from time to time. (Here, for example.) Once I became aware of my burn out, I began my search for a solution, and that's when I learned about the importance of self-care. Self-care is something I've struggled with since I first began to implement it in my life, sometimes doing better and other times letting it slip. I know I feel better when I take time for myself and get a break from the sometimes mundane and repetitious day-to-day of motherhood, but struggle to be consistent with it.
While talking with my sister yesterday, I realized how little I've been taking care of myself lately, something I know is detrimental to me and everyone around me. Being a mother is incredibly rewarding, but that doesn't mean it isn't also extremely overwhelming. When I am frazzled and burnt out I am not at my best (duh). I'm snappy and irritable, I'm more likely to be impatient, more likely to stick the kids in front of the TV for hours, and I frequently end up checking out by staring at my phone for way longer than anyone needs to.
As we spoke, my sister challenged me to make a list of self-care ideas to be able to choose from when I need a break. As I wrote, I thought to myself that I am definitely not the only person who needs this. I know the whole self-care idea isn't new, it's one of those topics that I hear brought up frequently in church and among moms that I know or that I follow on social media. We hear over and over how important it is, but I think a lot of us still struggle to make it a priority, which is why we're still talking about it. So I decided to share my list with you and to encourage you to make your own list if mine doesn't resonate with you.
35 Self-Care Ideas:
1. Create something.
2. Start or work on a knitting project.
3. Paint something.
4. Make a collage of things that make you happy.
5. Start/work on an art journal.
6. Draw a page of doodles.
7. Write a short story.
8. Color in a coloring book.
9. Get dressed for the day.
10. Paint your nails.
11. Do your hair and make-up.
12. Stretch for 5 minutes.
13. Hydrate yourself.
14. Get outside.
15. Watch the sunrise/sunset.
16. Ride a bike.
17. Look at the sky, be still, breathe.
18. Take a walk.
19. Feel the sun on your face.
20. Turn on some music and dance.
21. Go for a drive.
22. Go on a photo walk/adventure.
23. Blow bubbles.
24. Eat a tasty treat.
25. Go to the temple.
26. Study scriptures/gospel literature.
27. Make a gratitude list.
28. Write a love note to yourself.
29. Buy fresh flowers.
30. Read a good book.
31. Organize something.
32. Put your phone down.
33. Go out on a girls night.
34. Write a letter to a friend.
35. List the things you love about yourself.
Is self-care something that comes easy to you, or do you struggle like I do? Let's all make a goal to take some time this week to do something for ourselves. Tell me in the comments what you plan to do!

No comments:
Post a Comment
You are awesome! ♥