10 August 2016

july 23, 2016 -- pioneer day celebrations

If you were to ask me what the number one thing I miss about living in Utah is, I would tell you, hands down, Pioneer Day. I miss the parades, the day-long celebrations, the firework shows. That's not to say we haven't been able to celebrate this special holiday while living away from Utah, it's just that -- well, I'm spoiled. After living right off the parade route, and within walking distance to one of the bigger firework shows... the celebrations in Denver and Flagstaff just can't compare. That said, we still enjoy the celebrations, no matter where we are. No need to miss out on a good time, just because it's not the huge celebration that I want.

Last year and this year our stake hosted a Pioneer Day gathering at the park nearest to us. We had just gotten a vehicle earlier that week, so we were pretty dang thrilled just to be getting out of the house. Plus: free food. The downfall was that Mr. Boss was working, so I was on my own with my 5 monkeys and my big, pregnant belly. Plus, it was really warm, which exhausts me so quickly. There was a hay ride, and pony rides, which the kids begged me to let them go do. I was too tired to go right away, and I didn't want them to go without me because: pictures! So I made them wait until after lunch, and then a little longer. Finally I decided to put my big girl pants on, suck it up, and just take them. We went just in time, too. We were some of the last ones to enjoy the hay ride and pony rides.

My handsome, newly-2-year-old.
Waiting for our turn on the hay ride.
They all loved the hay ride.
N was so content sitting on the hay. As we rode, I asked him if he was having fun.
"Yeah!" he responded, with a vigorous head nod.
While the babes waited for their turn on the ponies, they pet and hung out near this goat.
Little N was so cute with the goat. I was kind of surprised at how brave he was, he usually only likes animals from a distance.
But watching him was probably my favorite part of the whole day.
Finally we made it to the front of the line. Ladies first!
Then the big boys got their turn.
As they came back around, Z let go of the saddle horn and called out to me: "Look! I can ride with no hands!"
Last but not least, little N. He was pretty excited about riding a horsie, although he didn't look it. haha.
Waiting around for the hayride that would take us back to the main pavilion.

It's all fun and games until someone has an allergic reaction... 

It was only a few minutes after the hay ride had dropped us back off that C started complaining about his eyes. They were super red and starting to swell up. The activity was basically over by then, so we loaded up and made our way home to get poor C an allergy pill and a shower.
He looked so sad, and so unlike himself, but he was willing to let me get a picture. I felt so bad. I hadn't even considered that the goat or ponies might bother him. But live and learn, I guess. After he'd gotten his pill and a shower, he was feeling better, but it took a couple of days for the swelling in his eyes to completely fade away.

We decided to end the night with creamies, because Utah. The bosslings were all pretty thrilled about that. Especially our littlest, who worked so hard to try and say "popsicle", but his tongue kept getting in the way. He says "plock-ah-lull" with his tongue sticking out and sliding across his mouth with the "L"s. It's just about the cutest thing ever.

Poor swollen boy, in better spirits after a shower and pill.
I love this cheeser!
Seriously, this boy is just so handsome. He makes me swoon on the daily.
Did I mention he's also quite the sassafrass? These three pictures crack me up.
And then there's this studly-kins. He's such a dream boat!
You guys! I can't handle his perfect little face.
...Which is probably a natural defense mechanism, given how mischievous he is.
Playing in the dirt. All day, every day. (I miss grass.)
Creamies to end the night. Everyone was thrilled!
The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome! ♥