It is something I have wanted to do for a while. So on Friday, despite the the fact that Mr. Boss did not approve, I did what I had to do. I tamed the beast that was my baby's perfectly rowdy blonde hair.
(Technically it wasn't his first haircut, but I'm going to refer to it as such, since the previous cuts didn't take much hair.)
I had an idea of what I wanted to do. Mostly I wanted to clean up the back, get it off of his neck, make him less susceptible to the outrageously adorable, but hard to manage bed-head. I also wanted to, as much was possible, leave the shaggy hair on top of his head in tact.
I had an idea of what I wanted to do. Mostly I wanted to clean up the back, get it off of his neck, make him less susceptible to the outrageously adorable, but hard to manage bed-head. I also wanted to, as much was possible, leave the shaggy hair on top of his head in tact.I put on a movie, sat on the couch, and pulled a towel and the shirtless lad onto my lap. Then it began. Snip-snip and down fell the little blondie locks. (Many of which ended up in a ziploc for safe keeping.) Thanks to the movie, he wasn't super wiggly, but he did start to get a bit impatient at the end, and he kept trying to slide off my lap. But I persevered, and finally we were done.
At first, I felt a little remorse for what I had done. Suddenly my baby didn't look so much like a baby, he looked like a very big boy. But he was so irresistibly handsome that I got over the heartache pretty quickly. All that was left was the big reveal to Mr. Boss, who had no idea what I'd been up to while he was at work.
To my surprise, he noticed right away. (He was oblivious the first few times I cut C's hair, even though thought it was obvious.) Not surprisingly, he was just as upset as I had anticipated. He called me a butcher and a dream-killer. (And then he started talking about Jesus and Samson and Porter Rockwell...) But I have told him before, and will continue to tell him, of my expectations for my boys to look respectable, which includes modest haircuts.
He still disagrees, but I think he at least understands. (At least I hope he does, or he is in for years of disappointment...)
Anyway, here is the "after":

Isn't he dreamy?
My first had the most adorable curls ever so scissors never touched his hair until he was 2 years old (they bunched up so perfectly!) but when I finally bit the bullet and cut off his golden locks, he looked SO grown up. I almost cried. To this day I kind of wish I had left well enough alone. But alas, it had to be done.
ReplyDeleteHe looks adorable :) I'm sure Mr. Boss will come around in time. ;)
He looks adorable with his haircut (he was just as adorable as before, but his little neck looks so cute with the nice trim up). Isn't it crazy that something as simple as a haircut can stir up so many different opinions and emotions? I remember the first time my baby boy got a haircut (if you could call what my husband did to it a haircut. It was more like a hack job), I was beyond upset with it. I was mostly upset that the horribly wrong cut had to be rectified with a not-so-flattering buzz cut, but I was also sad to see that the somewhat unruly strands that made my little man seem so baby like were gone. My husband actually gets irritated when the boys' hair begins to grow out (he thinks they look unkempt), but a little bit of my dies when they have to get their "big boy" haircuts....
ReplyDelete