I love the libraries here. We frequent several in our own county, and one in the adjacent county. Each one has it's own charm, and the children look forward to our library trips with anticipation.
On our most recent trip, as I was looking for Signing Time DVDs, I found something else on the shelf. I didn't actually recognize the film by the title, but I picked it up, anyway. As I read the summary on the back I recognized the story, and decided it had to come home with us.
We watched it yesterday afternoon. I was worried that the children would become bored with it after a time, but the story pulled them in, and they really seemed to enjoy it. They asked a few questions from time to time, and made observations and connections that I hadn't quite caught myself. But the very best part was E's reaction near the end.
(Spoiler after the picture. You've been warned.)
On our most recent trip, as I was looking for Signing Time DVDs, I found something else on the shelf. I didn't actually recognize the film by the title, but I picked it up, anyway. As I read the summary on the back I recognized the story, and decided it had to come home with us.
We watched it yesterday afternoon. I was worried that the children would become bored with it after a time, but the story pulled them in, and they really seemed to enjoy it. They asked a few questions from time to time, and made observations and connections that I hadn't quite caught myself. But the very best part was E's reaction near the end.
(Spoiler after the picture. You've been warned.)

* spoiler * spoiler * spoiler * spoiler * spoiler * spoiler * spoiler *
As the wounded soldier removes the bandages from his face, and his identity is revealed to the audience, E asked, "Did her papa come back?" Then, before Sara realizes who the man in the room is, as she hides from the police and Miss Minchin, his face is shown, again, to the audience. More excitedly, E began to repeat, "Her papa is back! Sara's papa came back!"
I suppose it shouldn't have, but the fact that she recognized Sara's father, who we had not seen much of during the show, surprised me. And her joy in the reunion of father and daughter was heart-warming.
I suppose it shouldn't have, but the fact that she recognized Sara's father, who we had not seen much of during the show, surprised me. And her joy in the reunion of father and daughter was heart-warming.
I love being a mother, and having the opportunity to share these moments with my children. Yesterday was especially wonderful, and I hope to remember it forever. (...Especially after the mess Miss E made in the bathroom today. Lets just say: lakes belong outside.)
"Hold your heads high, you wives, mothers, homemakers. You engender life and enrich it. Don't trade that pervasive force for fleeting, surface trinkets. Cherish it, enlarge it, magnify it. You hold a might office."
Barbara B. Smith, 10th Relief Society general president

Moments like that truly make motherhood just that much more special, don't they? In addition, they certainly help to cancel out all the I-want-to-tear-my-hair-out moments like creating lakes in the bathroom (something my little trouble makers have done on a few occassions).
ReplyDelete