04 September 2009

baby shower cake

Last night there was a baby shower for one of my cute sisters-in-law. I was asked a few weeks ago by my mother-in-law if I would be willing to make a cake for the party. (Possibly impressed with the cake I made for Conrad's birthday.) She sent me an email with a link to the picture of the cake she wanted me to make.
She got cake mixes, marshmallows, cookies and some powdered sugar so I could make my own frosting.
I got started on the baking a bit late in the day, and worked on my frosting while the cakes cooled.
The frosting was a frustrating mess that I knew I should have practiced in advance. It was all runny and it seemed to separate. I felt foolish at my failure.
I left for the shower an hour after it had started, the cake unfrosted, undecorated, unfinished.
I called my mother-in-law to let her know I was on my way, but that my frosting had failed. She said she'd make some and see me in a few.
Her frosting was perfect, all it needed was some color which also came out perfect. Within a few minutes the cake was frosted, cookies were put around the edge, and a little fondant soap bar was crafted.
As the cookies were placed around the edge I realized that I was one short (I hadn't counted on the cake being wider after the frosting was applied.) My niece (who insisted in assisting me) suggested we fill in the gap with marshmallows, like bubbles overflowing. Smart girl, she is.
The fondant soap turned out really great too.
The finished cake and cupcakes.
The darling baby cup cakes.
My niece placed the babies and marshmallows on the cupcakes while I decorated the cake. She did a pretty good job, don't you think?
The cake was a success, but wasn't eaten at the party. My sister-in-law took it to work today, where more people admired my handy work.
I'm just glad that it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome! ♥