Homework 1.1
-List of writing projects I'd like to do someday.
I want to write a book, or several.
I want to make children's books.
I want to be published in magazines.
I want to be a part of a literary journal.
I want to make people feel when they read what I've written.
I want to compile a book of my own poetry.
I want to write a book called Tales from the Moon. (Because I used to talk to the moon. He was my friend and he told me stories. Some nights he was grumpy and some nights he was cheerful. I wanted to share his stories with the world. I still do.)
-A blog post about why I have a blog.
I started my blog when baby Ellie was only one or two months old. I was in a very bad habit of staying up extremely late. Mr. Boss was in the habit of sleeping on the couch. His work laptop was picking up a wifi signal. I was on it constantly, and it was the main reason why I stayed up so late.
I got the idea to do a blog after I saw a story on the news about a local gal who authors a blog called Dooce. She was making a living, supporting her family, with her blog. She got so much traffic and earned hefty amounts of ad revenue. I thought: A blog? How hard can it be to keep a blog?
I love writing, and kept many a journal throughout my youth. A blog, I figured, would be a simple way to keep a journal, even with my new busy-mom schedule.
I thought a blog would help me to write more, and to write more creatively. What I found was that I was only writing about my kids. And I wasn't really writing. I was gushing. I didn't want a gushing blog. Gushing about my kids was not going to earn me followers or revenue. I had to start writing about more.
I'm still struggling to find the way I want my blog to be. What I know is: I love to write. I love my kids. I want to earn some money doing something I enjoy. I figure there's got to be someone out there who cares about what I have to say. I'm a little self-centered. My mother has moved two states away and I need a way to keep her in the loop. And it's a really fun way to irritate Mr. Boss.
That is why I blog.
As a grandmother I can tell you that blogs about grandkids (even gushy ones) are about as good as it gets. I have a daughter on the other side of the country with 4 of my grands, and she blogged regularly until June. I feel like they dropped off the end of the earth because I don't see them on-line every day. So, do it for grandma!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for a great post!