14 August 2009

a trip to an asylum or an ice cream parlor?

Mr. Boss called to let me know he was coming home, and that he expected dinner. I had planned to make chicken, to serve with some leftover pasta salad. But by the time my love got home the chicken was not only uncooked, it was just barely thawed. I was about to begin preparations, the oven was pre-heating, when I got side-tracked by motherly duties. Next thing I knew Mr. Boss had served himself some pasta salad--apparently too hungry to wait any longer.
I felt defeated. It had been a rough day--if only I could've gotten dinner on the table I might not have felt so bad (blah blah blah).
I slumped myself on the couch in an exhausted sort of way, feeling a bit dead. Red was running around and asking questions and being the energetic thing that he is. Mr. Boss, tired from work, sat on the couch and clicked on the TV--adding to the noise.
"Will you please turn it off? I mean, do we really need the TV on right now?" I asked. He looked at me, studied my face, then raised the remote and turned off the boob-tube.
I was so drained of my energy, and I just needed to get out of the house, and asked my husband if there was any place where we could go. He looked at me and I could tell he was very aware of my failing sanity.
"Get the boy some dinner while I shower, then I'll take you somewhere." He offered "Maybe to get something of the frozen, dairy variety" (I've been begging the man for ice cream for weeks. Of course I agreed.)
I started a pot of mac'n'cheese while Mr. B showered, and it wasn't ready until he got out. I served myself and Red, and we hurried and ate while Mr. B got dressed.

This is how I know he loves me: he shaved. I've been on his case for weeks now, but he's so insistent on having facial hair, even though it doesn't come in as thick as he'd like.

Anyway, after we ate we loaded up in the car and Mr. Boss drove us to Leatherby's. Once we were seated we looked over the menu, trying to decide what sounded the most tasty. As we waited for our orders to arrive Red observed our surroundings. There were large stars on the wall for which Red exclaimed "Stars at night!" Yes, we told him, good boy.
The decor made me think of a 50's ice cream parlor, or what I'd expect one to look like. It was lovely.
Then they brought out our ice cream. Mr. Boss had ordered a giant banana split to share with Red. It was so big, and Red looked small and adorably messy while trying to eat it.
I chose a chocolate chip/chocolate cream delightful mess. I shared some with Norah, who was seated in a high-chair right next to me. She really seemed to enjoy the chocolate cream, which may have been partly because it didn't freeze her mouth.
After we were done, and our remaining ice cream had since been loaded into some cups to bring home, I thanked Mr. Boss for our lovely outing.
It's so nice to have someone who is so attentive to my needs and sanity levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome! ♥