10 August 2009

a better place

I want to set the record straight. This may be the millionth time I've said this, but I feel it needs to be said at least once more.
Not only do I want, but I intend to have at least 10 children.
I have found great joy in motherhood and pregnancy.
I feel in my heart and in my soul that a large family is what is meant for me.
I feel sad that I find myself defending that so often.

About a week ago I had a chat with a friend where we came to realize two important things which, if embraced by everyone, would make the world a much, much, much better place.
1. We need to cut prices on everything.
2. We need to quit being so judgemental.
The price-cut seems pretty self explanatory: cut prices and people will buy more because they can afford to. Economy fixed. (I know, I'm amazing.)
It's that second one I really want to focus on.

When I began this post I mentioned my desire for a large family. I'm just guessing, but when you read that one of two thoughts came to your mind. You either reacted positively ("That is awesome! Kudos!"/"Good for you!") or negatively "The world is over-populated."/"But there are so many kids who need to be adopted."/"That's pretty dumb.")
Either way you made a judgement. And, regardless of whether it was positively or negatively, you think differently of me.

It seems like, when it comes to children and how large or small you want your family to be, there are always going to be negative opinions.
--Just want one kid?
People think your child will be a "freak" because he didn't have a sibling to interact with.
--You've been married for several years, but don't yet have children?
People wonder when you're going to get started or why you don't adopt or if there's an infertility issue (and sometimes they say something horrible to you about it, like "Oh, you don't have any kids yet? Well who is it who has the problem?")
--You want a large family?
People tell you to adopt, that the world is already over-populated, that you're insane.

These are all horrible things, and yet (I'm fairly sure) we've all thought or said something negative about someones lack of, or excess of, children.
Why? Why is it so important? What makes us, as human beings, think how others chose to live their lives and grow their families is any of our business?

I want to share some hypothetical scenarios.
Example 1: Your neighbor down the street may not have children due to infertility. You don't know because that is a private struggle. Still, some throw sand in the wound by suggesting they have a problem, or that they adopt. Maybe they choose not to adopt because they still feel like they have a chance to conceive on their own.
Example 2: You meet a family at the park who only has one child. This child is, say, 6 or 7 years old. You don't know of the difficult pregnancy the woman had just to have this child. You also don't know that they have tired to have another but have been meet with heartbreak in the form of miscarriages and/or a still-birth.
Example 3: The Duggar family in Arkansas. Just tell me you haven't thought or said one negative thing about them and their choice to have as many children as they could.
Example 4: A couple who has been married for 8 years does not yet have children. They have both finished school and are focusing on their careers. They plan to start a family, but don't feel like it is time yet. (I will admit, I have regretfully passed my own judgements on this group of people.)
There are so many different scenarios, and each one comes with a different string of negative judgements.
But wouldn't we be happier if we just minded our own business, and let others live their lives how they want, and not how we think they should? Shouldn't we just focus on doing what we think is right, instead of trying to force our ideas on every person we meet?

We pass judgement on:
-Family size
-Sexual orientation
-Mothers working
-Mothers staying home
-The wealthy
-The poor
-Drinking/smoking/premarital sex vs. Sobriety/abstinence
-Political parties
-Different races
-Cultural traditions
-Nursing vs. Bottle-feeding
-Public vs. Home-schooling
-The way people dress
-What side of the bed someone sleeps on
-What cereal someone chooses
-How often someone uses the restroom

I'm getting ridiculous because that is what it is.
Teach your families, your children, to believe in what you want. Teach your families to have strong values. But while you're at it, teach them to be kind. Teach them to love everyone. Teach them that it is OK to have friends who believe something different. It's okay to have friends of different colors. Teach them that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and teach them that some of their best friends will have opinions that will differ greatly from their own. (Those are the best friendships, because each person brings something new and different to the table.)
Most of all, teach them not to harshly judge (though small ones are sometimes necessary), because it seems being too judgemental makes it hard (like close to impossible) to be a truly happy person.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/8/09 20:38

    I totally and completely agree with you. It's hard to grow up and be strong about who you are as a person when you feel constantly judged about EVERYTHING that you do. It's sad that we are most often judged by the people we love and the people who should support us. I am proud of you for being aware of this and for taking every effort to teach your children to be kind, loving and accepting people. You are a fantastic mother/daughter/friend/person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a very personal choice. I grew up in a large family and spent my childhood changing diapers and babysitting. As an adult I did not want children, but ended up raising two stepchildren. I also had a fear of having a handicapped child and ended up caring for a handicapped child after a car accident.

    Only you know what you are capable of as a mother and wife. People can judge all they want, but who cares what their judgment is as long as you are content with your decisions and know they are right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As horrible, insane, and downright ridiculous it is to judge anyone for anything, it's a fact of life. It's up to us to decide how to feel about the judgments passed, and how to react to them. I've gotten into the habit of saying "I'm sorry you feel that way" or "We can agree to disagree." That way, people can say whatever they want (since some don't have a filter), and you can catch them by surprise by showing them that their comments don't affect you.

    ReplyDelete

You are awesome! ♥