08 August 2016

school's out for summer

The bosslings are headed back to school later this week, so I figured it was probably about time I put up this post about the end of the last school year. You know, before I start telling you about their first day again.

School let out at the end of May, and our car had died earlier that month. I was really bummed, thinking I was going to have to miss all of the end-of-year fun. But, thanks to a few generous souls, I didn't have to miss out on everything. I was able to be at the school for part of the Kindergarten class field day. It was super windy that day, I kept thinking how it would have been so much more pleasant if it weren't for the wind. But that's springtime in Flagstaff.

During one of the field day activities. This was taken by a friend before I got there. 
A firetruck came and the kids got sprayed with the hose. It was hilarious to watch.
Of my babes, only this little one braved getting anywhere near the foam. As you can see, he wasn't a fan.
The wind was crazy that day, even though they didn't get wet they claimed they were freezing,
so I wrapped them up in this wimpy muslin blanket. They were cute all huddled together.

The next day, C had an awards assembly he was to be honored at. I had gotten a ride to see the midwife that morning, I knew we might be cutting it close with time, but my friend got me there no problem. While we weren't late, it was pretty crowded when we got there, so the little boys ended up watching from the back of the room. Not preferred, but I still got to see my silly boy as he jumped/climbed onto the stage when he was called up. It was so uniquely him, and was really fun to see his personality shining.

My little shorty. ♡
With his award and his teacher.

Finally, the last day of school had arrived. We all got up and ready to walk our big kids down to the bus stop for the last time of the 2015-2016 school year.

A short while after the bus had gone, the boys and I were picked up and taken to the school. There was a little red carpet awards ceremony happening in E's first grade class, followed by a little end-of-year party. She wanted to wear her fanciest dress for the ceremony, and I even tried to curl her short hair. I think she looked lovely. She received the "Almond Joy" award, because she was such a pleasant, cheerful member of the class. It was all too cute.

We slipped away from E's class for a bit, because I really wanted to get a picture of Z with his teacher. We got in there, and his teacher was more than willing to be in a picture, but Z was not feeling it. There was some bribery used, so he finally came around to being behind the camera. Silly boy.
After I'd gotten a couple of pics with his teacher, it was like he'd been bitten by a bug. Suddenly he wanted ALL the pictures! It was cute watching him try to gather his classmates into groups for pictures. The kids were all pretty busy playing games, there were some that didn't want to be pulled away, but he managed to convince most of his classmates to join him for at least one photo. haha.

After that, it was time for us to head home. As soon as we got out the front doors, though, the two little boys were off in two different directions. Silly boys. We finally got them rounded up, and then went home to wait for our kids.

I think he was pretty excited at the thought of having his kids home a bit more. 
He didn't want his picture taken, but he was so handsome, I couldn't help it.
There they go...
A first in my experience: the need for jackets and sweaters on the last day of school. Oh, Flagstaff...
The Red Carpet walk/award's ceremony.
With her award and her wonderful teacher. She was feeling pretty sad to be moving on from her class, but surprise!
We just learned, over the weekend, that Z will have her as he enters 1st grade later this week. So fun!
E's class party.
Z and his awesome teacher.
My silly little boys!
Z, with his kindergarten classmates.
Cutest little stinker butt.

And, just like that, their first year of school was over. There were some mixed emotions. There was excitement that there would be no more homework, there was sadness about missing teachers and friends. There were a lot of nervous feelings about how we'd survive the summer without a running vehicle... (all me.) Mostly, we were all just ready to have a chance to chill out for a bit, ready to enjoy some time without deadlines or tests to worry about.

Goodbye, 3rd grade!
2nd grade, here I come!
Kindergarten grad.
Cutie pies.
School's out, scream and shout! Well, for a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome! ♥