Today I am sharing a "favorite quote and why [I] love it." I'm actually going to share two.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."
Henry David Thoreau
I saw this one every day of my freshman year of high school. My English teacher had it put up in her classroom. From the first time I read it, it spoke to me, and has stuck with me. At first I think it merely inspired me, or put a desire within me, to be one who heard a different drummer. I wanted to be different.
Later, as I began to really search out who I was, it encouraged me to not be afraid to be myself, even if it was unusual.
It also reminds me to be careful about judging others. Reminds me that, perhaps, they just hear a different beat than I do. Doesn't make them right or wrong, just... different.
"Don't give up. Don't you quit. You keep walking. You keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead... You keep your chin up. It will be all right in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come."
Jeffrey R. Holland
I mentioned in yesterday's post that I recently taught a class at church. As I was preparing my lesson, this quote came to my mind. It fit in well with my lesson, but it's also just plain good. Because life is the sort of thing that can really get you down. Big or small, we all have problems at one time or another. This quote reminds me to keep my chin up. It gives me hope. Even when it seems like everything is going wrong, and the light at the end of the tunnel is so far and so small that it can't yet be seen, there is hope. It will be all right in the end. I will be okay. I just love that.

No comments:
Post a Comment
You are awesome! ♥