15 February 2013

from the archives: 2.28.2011

It is so late. I've totally failed my goal for this week to go to bed earlier. I think I'll try again next week, though.
As for today, I just can't think of anything to post. I've been looking all over the place for ideas; pinterest, other blogs, my own archives. And then I came upon a post I wrote two years ago. It made me smile. So I've decided to copy and paste it. Like I say at the end, I wrote it "to be called upon when it is needed", and right now, it is needed.

Mr. Boss left for work.
Z went down for a nap.
I threw myself onto the couch, in desperate need of relief from a frustrating head cold.
C and E would not let me be.
They climbed up on either side of me, and climbed under the blanket that was laying on me.
The wiggled and squirmed getting comfy and cozy, and that almost annoyed me too much,
but I didn't push them away.

Before I knew it, E was still.
Her eyes were peacefully shut as she flew away to dream land.
C, while still awake, looked as though he would follow close behind.
Sure enough, when I peeked down from my reading, I found him softly snoring on my shoulder.
(There was drool, but that's not the important part.)

I sat there for a good while, beneath my sleeping children, pondering.
The moment pictured above is now a memory, and one they will have no recollection of.
At first it made me sad.
This is the kind of memory that could remind a child of their parents love when they're having a hard time.
As I continued to think about it I realized:
this is the kind of memory that I will be able to call upon when I'm, maybe, feeling like I've had enough.

So, I am filing this away, to be called upon it when it is needed.
For one of those days when things aren't going quite right.
Or when the children are older and get upset with me for being too strict.
Or when the noise just. won't. end.
Then I can remember the silence and the comfort these children found in their mother.
Then I can remember that motherhood is more than worth the hard parts.



photo challenge day 15:

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome! ♥