29 October 2012

you have four?


We had to run to the store Saturday night. Because Boss was at work, it was just me and the babes. We quickly gathered the things that we needed to have for Sunday, as well as a couple of treats, and made our way to the check out. I suppose I was feeling generous, because I gave E and C a penny each, so that they could ride the mechanical horse that lives at our grocery store.
When I was finished at the check out, and C and E had each had their turns, I let Z have a turn. As he was riding, a woman walked up with a little girl who wanted to ride the horse, too. As we all stood around waiting for Z's ride to finish, the woman was taking in the scene of a young woman with her children. And then she noticed baby S in the wrap on my chest.
"Is there a baby in there?" she asked, dumbfounded.
I responded in the affirmative and proudly pulled back part of the wrap so that she could get a better look.
"You have four?" she asked, a look of shock on her face.
"Yep." I replied, with a smile.
"Well, are any of them twins?" she asked, her shock had turned to horror.
"Nope," I said, quickly.
"Do you have a husband?" she asked, quickly adding, "I mean, to help you?"
I was really enjoying this. "Of course," I told her. "When he's not busy with work or school."
By this time, Z's ride had ended and I was gathering my babes so we could leave. As I was doing so, this woman still with that shocked and slightly horrified look on her face, now with a fake smile and forced kindness, added "Well, they're beautiful!"
I thanked her, and walked away, laughing to myself.

It was a scenario I'd been fearing since I became pregnant with S, I don't know what I was afraid of, though. It was hilarious.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have a sense of humor cause I'm grumpy for you. "Do you have a husband?" !!! Why does she think that is any of her business? grr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is obviously not from Utah, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, she is rude. I'm glad you have a sense of humor. My family didn't grow up LDS and they each had four siblings. I don't think four children is that bizarre.

    ReplyDelete

You are awesome! ♥