14 May 2010

happy weekend!

Today was one of those days that I didn't really want to do anything, let alone my full time, constant, never-ending job (as mommy/homemaker.) Aside from the growing pile of dishes in the sink, and the pile of laundry that needs to be folded and put away, my house is currently at a satisfactory state of clean. I figured it wouldn't be so bad for me to skip out on some of my homemaker duties.

Around 2:30 this afternoon I got my behind in gear, and got myself and the kids ready to leave. Mostly so that we could be out of the house, since we are in most of the time.
First we went for a stroll through Babies'R'Us, as I was hoping to find a 1st year memory calendar, but they (apparently) don't carry those anymore. (Grrr...)
After that we went to Smith's to get a few items for our dinner. Smith's now has mini- shopping carts, and since Conrad wouldn't sit in the basket of the one I was pushing, I decided I'd let him push the mini- cart around.
To say he enjoyed pushing it would be a severe under-statement. But he wasn't very good at it. Within 2 minutes of being there he knocked some things over after bumping in to them. All because he wasn't watching where he was going. (Some kids...teenage kids...helped to pick everything up, which was super nice. And I made Conrad help as much as he could. After that, if I noticed him going off-course, I would grab the corner of his cart to try and lead him. Every time I did this he told me "No, mom! Put your hand on your cart!" (Fine, sheesh!)
He also had the bad habit of looking down, all while trying to push his cart forward, at high speeds. That he didn't knock anything else over is a miracle. But he did run into me once. (Luckily, I prevented him from running into anyone else.) Moments after running into me he started chatting up a stranger. (This kid is so weird. Shy in situations where he's with people he knows, and bravely out-going towards complete strangers.) I hear him telling this guy "I got a little cart!" ("Yeah, that's just your size!" The man replies, obviously surprised by this random kid talking to him.) "I ran over mama!" ("Oh, you shouldn't do that, you'll hurt her legs.") "Yeah, I hurt her legs..." Such a nerd, my boy.
Later, in the check out, he starts chatting up the lady in line behind us. "I got a little cart!" ("Oh, that's nice.." she politely responds.) Then Conrad notices the contents of her little basket, and reaches over to touch them as he asks "Do you have bananas?! And strawberries?!" (I watch her pull her basket away, but she remains good humored and asks him "Yeah, do like strawberries?") I called him a liar when he said "no." But right after he says, matter-of-factly, "We're just gonna have hot dogs." Which made me and the lady chuckle. Silly kid.
He also insisted the groceries be put in his cart. At the check out he put everything up on the conveyor. After it was bagged the things were put into my basket. As we walked away from the check-out, post-transaction, Conrad all of the sudden asks, in a worried tone "Where's the hot dogs?!" And he wasn't very happy to find out that I had them. Oh well...

We went to my Brother-in-law's for dinner. We provided the food, they (b-in-law, his wife, and their baby girl) provided the company. We took some dinner, and a dessert I made last night.
pineapple upside-down cake

It was my first time making it and, even though it was a super easy recipe, I was wondering whether or not it would turn out.
After we all had dinner Mr. Boss cut up the cake, and upon taking his first bite he informed me that I had to "bake this cake every day for the rest of eternity" (or until he develops diabetes.) That sure made me feel nice. But there is no way I'm making this cake every day, no matter how easy the recipe.

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
1/2 cup unsalted butter (full stick)
1 cup packed brown sugar
20 oz can pineapple slices (set aside juice)
Maraschino cherries, halved
(but I omit them, because I hate them.)
Boxed Yellow cake mix

1. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
Add brown sugar, stir until dissolved.
Pour caramel mixture into cake pan.

2. Place slices of pineapple in single layer
on top of caramel mix.
Place halved maraschino cherry
in center of pineapple ring.

3. Prepare cake mix according to instructions.
Use pineapple juice in place of water.
Pour mix over pineapple and caramel.
Bake according to package instructions.

4. Allow cake to cool,
Flip out of pan
onto cake plate
(or cookie sheet, like I did.)

**I also had some leftover pineapple tidbits, from the pizza we made for dinner last night. I put some into the caramel mix, with the sliced pineapple, and poured the rest into the cake batter, which was pretty tasty.**


Our night ended with a seriously awesome surprise, that I will tell you about soon.
Happy Friday, hope you have a great weekend!

p.s. Happy 17th Birthday to my wonderful sister-in-law!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome! ♥