I was thinking earlier...(ouch)...and realized that maybe its a good thing to not have a bunch of money at this time of year. See, I can be out shopping and be tempted to buy something, but won't buy because I can't. It's eliminating a holiday junk heap before it happens...
Today I wrapped probably all of the gifts that I'll be wrapping this year. Wanna know what they were? The kids Christmas jammies and 4 (separately wrapped) books. That's right, there will only be 6 gifts under our tree (plus a treat or two in the stockings.) Good thing I decided not to teach my kids that on this one day of the year you get loads of gifts for not much reason other than tradition. (Please know, I'm, not trying to judge anyone for how they celebrate Christmas, I'm just spewing words through my fingertips.)
Truthfully, I'd love to have a bigger pile of gifts to greet my little family, but financial issues + Mr. Scrooge + wanting to teach kids about simplicity during the holidays = slim pickin's. And really, I've gotten the kids gifts that I really wanted to get them. Jammies (because it's just not Christmas without special jammies) and books. (They love books. I love books. They're quiet and easy to clean. Perfect gift.)
Things are good.
(Now I hit publish and go to sleep before I change my mind about hitting "publish.")
Good for you, Crissy! :) I wish I had instilled that gifts weren't such a big deal early on in my children's lives. Now my children focus on what they're going to get, instead of Christmas' true meaning. :(
ReplyDeleteSimplicity= good life.
Hey Thats good! everyone is different! Your kids will love it! We arent having as many gifts as last year and it will be odd to me i think. I usually go all out and this yr we are also being simple. We are remembering the reason for the season! :)
ReplyDeleteI am right there with ya! It's so much more important for everyone (not just children) to find pleasure in the simple things and to remember what Christmas is really about! Besides, the gifts children get this year will most likely be forgotten next year anyway!
ReplyDeleteWe are in a tight spot financially as well (hence the reason we're living with my parents for the time being), so we didn't go all out on presents either. We got the kids inexpensive gifts that they will love, and of course, jammies! What's Christmas without jammies?
I think you're very wise. When there's a huge pile of presents, the activity is opening. When there's fewer, the activity is noticing. I'm all about giving memories rather than gifts.
ReplyDeleteHello dear sister.. would you allow me to send gifts to Conrad and Norah? I have been saving up for them.. and Bella. Just so you know the only place I would be shopping is Barnes & Noble.
ReplyDelete