I've made it to the final 2 weeks of Travelin' Oma's School Days seminar. This week is finals week. For today's final Oma gave us 10 questions to answer, to see where writing fits into our lives, and she instructed us to write an essay using our answers.
school days, week 11 day 1
Questions and Answers:
1. If the power was out I could entertain myself for a while. I've got a shelf full of books just itching to be read, empty and waiting notebooks, cupboards full of treats. I'd find something.
2. I've set aside a time to write and only write. The phone rings, do I answer? If it's Mr. Boss, yes. Otherwise I'd let it go to voicemail.
3. An old friend leaves a message wanting to get together for brunch sometime. I schedule our meeting for a time I hadn't set aside for writing.
4. While out with my friend I am struck with a great idea for a novel, how will I remember it? Why, I'll make a note in my phone! (But I think I really ought to start carrying a mini notebook and pen with me always.)
5. The most vivid image in my mind of me being a successful writer is: my name on the spines of books, and constant wrist cramps from all the writing and typing.
5 (again). If money and time were no object I would: do some shopping and/or do some serious writing (be it journaling, blogging, or working on a story line.)
6. Do I have any great novel ideas? No, well, definitely not anything I think is great.
7. What would be the biggest perk to being a writer? Money and fame? Being my own boss? Nope, being able to write, and calling writing my profession, it would be a dream come true.
8. I read..: in my free time. Magazines, some books, usually blogs that I find interesting.
9. If I have a strong opinion about something political: first, this is unlikely as I find politics boring, and don't pay attention to it all like I should. But, if something struck me, I might rant about it to anyone who'd listen, and possibly write a letter to the editor, though I don't think I'd be gutsy enough to send it.
10. I realize that I have experience that would benefit others, I: would write an article about it to send in for publication, but I would likely post, at least, an excerpt from my article as an entry on my blog.
Essay:
Am I Right for Writing?
I think I have definitely romanticized being a writer as something glorious, praiseworthy and immortalizing. At the same time I understand that a lot of work goes in to writing and being published. I learn this more every day.
Still, I want to write. I really want to write. In part because I think I have something to say, somewhere in this crazy head of mine are words that I need to share. And I would be lying if I said I didn't care if others read my work or not. I want to write for me, but I want people to notice, too.
I have this double goal. I want to be a writer, and I want to be an author. I want to see my name on the cover of a brand new book. I want something tangible and public to show my efforts. But if I am never published professionally I would be happy with my life if I at least made effort and pursued my writing.
Of course, it doesn't seem like writing has much place in my life right now. I try to make room for it. I manage to blog frequently, but my personal journaling has suffered. It is hard to find time to write with two active little ones running loose and causing catastrophes throughout the house. And if I should be so lucky to get the sweet little stinkers to nap at the same time, well, then I want to rest also. On top of this we're still trying to settle in from our move 2 months ago, it just seems like now is not the right time to try and make writing a priority.
I know I want to write. If I had the time, or the support, to make writing a priority I would, but I think I may have to wait until the kids are a bit older and don't cause me so much grief. The will is there, but the way has yet to be found.
I still practice and work on my writing. Blogging has helped. But I know I should do more, especially if I'm really serious about wanting to write. I know the things I can (and need to) do now, like writing daily, carrying a notebook with me wherever I go, and making time, if only once a week, to really sit down and focus on my writing.
I aspire, but the effort is small. I know that if I want to be a writer I need to work at it and make time for it. For now I am an amateur, I write as a hobby. In time I hope I will learn how to manage my time and prioritize my day so that writing can take up a bigger part in my life.
I am a work in progress, and so is my writing.
I look forward to seeing your name in print! In the meantime, your blog is wonderful. I think keeping your hand in, so to speak, is a great way to keep writing a priority at this phase of your life. After all, think of the great fodder for writing ideas your children will provide.
ReplyDeleteYou're in the research phase of writing. You're having the experiences and gaining the wisdom, and you'll eventually discover the time. And, you're already an awesome writer.
ReplyDelete