28 July 2009

I’m on a mission.

Last night I learned that I don't know much about my mother. I'm not the only one either.
We busied ourselves eating deliciousness that dad had grilled up, burgersporkchopssteakzuchinniheaven. While we ate dad quizzed.
"What's your moms favorite color?" -nobody guessed correctly. {Purple}
"What is your moms favorite animal?" -again we failed to produce the right answer. {Whales}
"What is your moms dream vacation?" -she has one? It's not Costa Rica? {A Mediterranean cruise}
The only one that any of us were able to guess, and still it was only two, was:
"What is your moms favorite flower?" -dad offered 50 bucks (not dollars) for the correct answer. Two of my sisters called out "Orchid" while the rest of us had already given up.
I was pretty bothered that I couldn't answer these questions. Why don't I know my mom’s favorite color/animal/dream vacation?

It has left me feeling like something needs to change. It's time for me to take charge and start asking questions. I'm on a mission: to learn more about the people in my life. And while I'm at it I'm going to make sure my kids never find themselves in this situation. They will know my favorite color, dream occupation, wildest dream and most treasured hope. And I will know theirs.

Who in your life do you want/need to learn more about? Why are you waiting?

1 comment:

  1. I have similar feelings about how well i no my mom. She told me it's not important what she likes, just because a moms job is to mainly make sure her children learn to develop their own favorites. The only thing I knew for sure was my mom's favorite color- green. I have made it a point to get to really know my mother now that i am an adult and can actually have better conversations with her.

    ReplyDelete

You are awesome! ♥