17 January 2018

16 Things to Love About Winter

January is a hard month for me. It is generally very dreary here in the Salt Lake Valley, especially because we get this awful inversion. I mean, we get it throughout the winter, but it's the worst in January. The inversion makes it hard to breathe and it traps the cold air underneath this thick, yucky blanket of nasty, smoggy air, and I swear it makes the month last longer. In all our years away from Salt Lake, in all my homesickness and desires to come back, I was always grateful, when January came around, that I didn't have to deal with the inversion.

So, here we are now. It's January. It's cold and dreary. And we live in Salt Lake again. The "fun" part of winter (Christmas) has come and gone, and I feel like it would be too easy to get mopey and let this time of year really get me down. We've made it through the first half of the month, and while the weather has been relatively mild so far, and I know January won't really last forever, I don't want to feel miserable for the rest of the month or the rest of the winter, however long that may be... So, I'm made a list, a list of the things I love about this time of year, the things that make January and the "boring" part of winter bearable.

Real quick, I want to say that I got this idea from a post I saw on Instagram by Lindsay Wilkins, and I loved it so much, I wanted to do something similar. You can see Lindsay's original post here.

Things I love about winter, January onward:
* Watching giant snowflakes gently falling out my window.
* Cuddling under a cozy blanket with a good book.
* The way a fresh blanket of snow makes the world look new and magical.
* All the scarves!
* The muffled crunch when you walk through fresh snow.
* Incredible, vibrant winter sunsets.
* Babies in cozy knit bonnets.
* The mountains covered in white.
* Layers! I'm always wearing multiple layers, during summer it's weird, in the winter it's normal!
* The quiet stillness of a winter night.
* My fingers wrapped around a toasty cup of hot cocoa.
* The random warm days when you can open the windows for a few hours.
* The days getting a little longer, bit by bit.
* So much underrated natural beauty, my photographer-self gets really excited about that.
* Anticipation of what's to come in the year ahead.
* And, of course, the anticipation of Spring!

What do you love about wintertime?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome! ♥