02 February 2017

birth story part ii // coaxing labor

(In case you missed the first part of my birth story, or want a refresh, click here.)

The truth was, I was glad baby girl hadn't come, as it was my sister's birthday. But it also meant that baby girl only had one more day to show up before the month was over.

I had another visit with the midwives that day, where the plan was to try again for a sweep. I was so nervous that I would go in only to learn I still wasn't dilated, but I was! Only just enough for a little sweep, but it was encouraging nonetheless, this was progress! Things were happening!

Along with the little sweep, I was sent home with a tincture called “Labor Boost” and instructions on how to take it. We also set up a time for me to come in the next morning, pending baby, for another sweep. The plan was to do a sweep every day until either baby arrived or we passed the 42 week deadline and I was sent to the hospital to be induced.

That night I went out for a little girls night. As I drove home later, I noticed that a bit of fog had rolled in, giving the night a crisp, autumn night coziness. It seemed like the kind of adverse weather condition that babies enjoy coming in. I couldn't help as my mind began to envision driving in the dead of night, through the fog, to the birth center. The next morning was “doughnuts with mom” at the kid's school, and I was bummed at the prospect of missing it, but figured it would be okay if it meant I had a baby in my arms.

I woke several times that night to pee, but there were no contractions. When I woke to the light of morning, my hope was not gone. I mean, I was a little bummed, yes, but at least I'd get a doughnut or two. Definitely two.

The fog that morning was so thick, there were areas where there was maybe 5 feet of visibility. It was stunning, though. The thrill of the beauty of the fog quickly faded as I walked into the school to looks of pity from the many familiar faces I saw, and nearly burst into tears as one woman asked, full of surprise, “Still no baby?” I tried to keep it together when I said hi to the mom who'd been due the same day as me, sitting at a table with her precious, nearly two week old baby boy. Then I snagged what seems to have been the very last chocolate iced doughnut, before one of my children could take it. Because, in that moment, I needed the chocolate.

As I drove home through the fog that was beginning to clear, I tried to focus on the beauty of the sight I was getting to see and photograph, thanks to the tardiness of my little girl, instead of the discouragement I was again feeling.
A few hours later, I was back at the birth center. More progress had been made, which meant a more vigorous sweep was possible. The two little boys were so full of energy that morning, it would have been good for them if I'd taken them to a park, but I was so uncomfortable afterward. The thought of going to a park was completely intimidating and undesirable. Instead, as we drove, my eyes were drawn to the trees filled with vibrantly colored leaves against the now completely clear blue sky. Whether on her own or due to an induction, baby girl was coming soon, I might not get another chance like this to get pictures of the autumn leaves (which, if you know me, you understand that this realization was very important.) So I drove around town, stopping to pull out my camera here and there, when I saw a sight so beautiful I just couldn't pass it by. It wasn't long, though, before my discomfort was too great and I had to head for home.
Once home, I got the little boys settled in with a movie, and then I went to bed. It was a Friday, a short day, so the big kids were home soon after. It made resting a bit more difficult, but I was too uncomfortable to do much else. I started tracking contractions at about 1 pm, but wasn't really paying attention to their frequency. The discomfort carried through the afternoon and into evening, but when I noticed the colors in the sky as the sun was setting I couldn’t resist, and managed to hobble myself out there for a moment, to capture the sunset. 
The last sunset before baby girl
I wasn't sure yet, if it was the beginning, but couldn't help hoping that it was, and that – somehow – baby girl would come before midnight.
The very last pregnancy photos, taken by my 9 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome! ♥