12 January 2017

a picnic in December

On a Sunday in mid-December, we went on a family drive and discovered an area not far into the mountains that was littered with boulders. As soon as I saw it, I began imagining taking an outing with the children on a warmer day. I could see them excitedly running around, climbing on rocks, exploring and adventuring. It looked like it would be such an incredible place to spend a day, and I felt so let down that we found it so late in the year. What fun we could have had there in the summer!

It just so happened, though, that later that week we were supposed to reach 50 degree temps. Mr. Boss would be at work, and the older children at school, but I figured I could at least take the little ones on an adventure. I mean, December isn't really known for it's warmer days, I couldn't let this opportunity pass by, knew I'd regret if I didn't go.

I've found that the weather has a nasty habit of changing from what was previously forecast, but not this time. That day was sunny and warm, a perfect day for a picnic in the mountains. We got dressed, wore only light jackets (with some warmer things brought along, just in case), and packed up lunch before venturing to the boulder covered forest.

The sun was shining and filtering through the tall pines and a light breeze whistled through the needles, but our jackets did enough to keep us warm. This place was so incredible and magical. I stood in awe for a moment before finding a shady spot between two huge boulders to lay our blanket. We had a bit to eat, and then we explored. The boys were in heaven, scaling these huge rocks and running around the forest.

The whole time I kept thinking how much more fun it would've been if Mr. Boss and the older kids had been there, too. It is definitely a place to revisit when the weather warms up again.









No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome! ♥