At our house, pancakes are a special treat enjoyed on birthdays and holidays, and the occasional morning or evening when I'm feeling generous, or we need an easy dinner. In my dream world we would have delicious breakfasts of pancakes or french toast everyday, but that is way. too. much. work.
Anyway, as much of a treat as plain pancakes are, there is something that is far more special. Apple pancakes, with homemade apple syrup. Just like my mother makes. (It is her recipe after all.) And, because I am a kind and loving person, I want to share this goodness with you.
Apple PancakesAnyway, as much of a treat as plain pancakes are, there is something that is far more special. Apple pancakes, with homemade apple syrup. Just like my mother makes. (It is her recipe after all.) And, because I am a kind and loving person, I want to share this goodness with you.
- 3 apples, peeled and grated (or 2 C applesauce)
- 3 C pancake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 TB ground cinnamon
- 1 TB ground nutmeg
- 2-3 cups milk
Mix ingredients together to create batter (if batter is too thick add more milk, if too thin add more pancake mix). Pour 1/4 cup scoops onto hot griddle, cooking both sides until golden brown. Serve pancakes warm, topped with sour cream** and fresh apple syrup.
- 2 C apple juice or cider
- 1 C white sugar
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1/2 C (1 stick) butter
Combine first 6 ingredients into a saucepan, bring to a boil until thickened. Stir in butter to combine. Serve syrup hot.
**If the idea of sour cream on pancakes is weird, just try it first. I'm not a big fan of sour cream, and used to dislike putting it on my pancakes, but time has changed me and now I love it. Mr. Boss, on the other hand, thinks my whole family is absolutely nuts for it.

No comments:
Post a Comment
You are awesome! ♥