05 August 2011

finding joy in the journey

The other day we were out running errands. We were all over the place. First we checked out a bread outlet place that a friend from church told me about and we went to check it out (it was awesome.) Then we took a round about drive to get ourselves to a Costco where I spent too much money. (Costco, I love you, but you're evil.)
It was the time of day when I should have been getting started on dinner, but I still needed to run to King Soopers (it's like Smith's). Just before we got home to drop off the Costco load, it started to rain. I wasn't planning on getting the kids out, anyway, but it wasn't exactly pleasant to unload all of those groceries with the downpour that was going on at the moment we pulled up. But, I got everything in and put away, hopped back in the car, and off we went to the store.
I was starting to feel irritated. I've been so bad about getting out to do errands earlier in the day, and the children and I can get pretty grumpy in the afternoon. On top of that, there was the thought that I was going to have to run through a downpour to get myself and all three children into the store at once. It had me feeling unhappy about my day. But, as we got closer to the store, the rain started to thin out, and then it stopped completely. Instead of rain, I saw a bright rainbow staring at me.
I don't know about you, but for me a rainbow is an instant mood-lightener. They also make me want to take pictures. And, when I couldn't get a decent shot from the Sooper's lot, I drove next door to the Target lot, where I found these lovely yellow flowers that perfectly framed my happy rainbow. Sure, this extra drive through the parking lot, plus the couple of minutes out of the car to take pictures, had us out even longer, but...I think it was worth it.
What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. that picture is AMAZING crissy. I am not kidding. it looks like it should be in a magazine. you could win awards with that! hope you are doing awesome girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE this picture, holy beautiful!!! great shot, glad to hear it helped brighten your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this picture is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you printed this picture out and framed it -- KING'S SOOPER?! Now I have to try to figure out where you're from! Denver perhaps? I'm so missing the Denver weather!

    ReplyDelete

You are awesome! ♥