15 June 2011

a birth story

The birth story I've been meaning to share for a year...

June 14, 2010: C and I went to Babies'R'Us for some last minute purchases. I felt fine all day, but I couldn't help but wonder at how funny it would be if baby "porcupine" came sometime the next day, after I'd been out running errands the day before.
I started to feel a bit off as the afternoon eased into early evening. I wasn't in pain, or uncomfortable, but something felt different. I wondered...By the 9'o'clock hour I was still unsure, but I was more convinced than I had been a few hours prior. Even so, I didn't want to get my hopes up.
quiet night
June 14, 2010

I stayed up too late that night. As midnight approached I had a decision to make: take a shower, or hope that it was real, and try to get as much sleep as I could before the party started. I chose sleep.

June 15, 2010, approx. 3am: It is a good thing I chose sleep, because I woke up to use the bathroom and, well, I'll spare the details. But at that point, I knew it really was time. I didn't know how long it would be, though, so I didn't bother to wake Mr. Boss. Instead, I tried to go back to sleep.
I turned this way. I turned that way. Each uncomfortable surge pulled me away from sleep. That dance lasted, maybe, an hour. Oh, I see. This is happening now.
I woke Mr. Boss to let him know what was up. He immediately jumped up, asking if we needed to blow up the pool? if I have called the midwife? ...he was ready for action. Then he started to blow up the pool, anyway. Might as well have it ready, I guess. (And, can I just say, I love Mr. B's reaction when I tell him a baby is coming. Priceless!)
Instead of calling my midwife, I first texted my mom (she was working that night, so she was up) and asked for her expert opinion. (She did have 8 babies, after all.) All along, though, I knew I just needed to listen to my body.

Somewhere between 5-6am: I called my midwife to give her a heads up. She asked how I was feeling, and how quickly the contractions were coming, and how long they lasted. I told her, and she sounded unhurried by my response.
During my labor with E, contractions were coming similarly to the ones I was having when I decided it was time to go to the hospital (and she was born within an hour of arriving), and I explained this to her. Well, I tried to explain this to her, but I was kind of groggy and ready to get into the pool. She said she'd be about an hour.
Mr. Boss was being a busy little bee, and had the pool inflated and filled with enough warm water to suit my needs. (And he had more warming on the stove, since our water didn't stay warm enough to fill the pool.) I gingerly stripped, and climbed in. Oh! The water was wonderful! (Seriously, even if you don't ever do a home or water birth, at least labor for a bit in some water, it is amazing!)
I went for a squatting position, with my arms draped over, and my head resting on, the edge of the pool. This was when time really began to get away from me.
I could breathe through each contraction, and they became a bit more intense with each one. As soon as one would end, I would relax, and rest my head. I was so tired, so I would shut my eyes and begin to drift off to sleep...until another contraction began a couple of minutes later.
I believe it was around 6:30am when Mr. Boss called his mother. We had planned to have her take C and E for the birth, and for the day, to help make the day less crazy.
Vivian and Heather (midwife and midwife assistant) arrived around 7. Heather arrived first, then my mother-in-law, and then Vivian. Though I can't tell you how I know, because I was a little busy/distracted by then.
During one particular contraction, Vivian ran her hand down my spine, as a way to help me visualize and be aware of what my body was working towards, and the direction I needed to focus my attention on. That particular contraction? Didn't hurt one single bit. It was the most amazing contraction ever. (I only wish every other contraction could have been so wonderful.)The kids were still sleeping, so Mr. Boss and his mom sat in the living room for a bit. Mr. Boss really liked that he could leave my alone and know that I was taken care of (he doesn't trust the people at the hospital that much) and it helped things to be less overwhelming for him.
I continued to labor in the pool, falling asleep between contractions, trying to answer little questions, and beginning to feel the need to do a little more than breathe during contractions.
I was never checked, which thrills me to no end (it's the most uncomfortable part, and so very unnecessary!) But my midwives did instruct me on how I could "check" for myself. That was weird and cool, and different. Baby was getting closer!

The children were not awake by 8 and, in retrospect, I kind of (really) wish we would have just left them, and they could have met their new sibling before heading off with grandma for the day. But this was when Mr. Boss and his mother went and woke them, and took them to the car. They visited for a bit longer after that, but at 8:30 my midwives realized that the time had come, and Mr. Boss was called to be in the room with me.

8:30 am: I change from a squatting position to a slanted/laying position, with my back supported by the side of the pool. As soon as I changed I had a vicious contraction, and wanted to go back to how I had been before, but I couldn't, for fear of bringing another awful contraction. I had Mr. Boss on my left and Vivian on my right, each holding a hand, as I felt that, without them, I might slip beneath the water and drown.
I was tired and nearing the end.
With each contraction, I began to push/bear down. It was the only thing that "eased" my discomfort. Plus, I kind of couldn't help it at that point.
This went on for a few minutes. After each contraction I noticed that my hands felt tingly, because I wasn't getting enough oxygen, but my contractions were pretty much right on top of each other. I tried to inhale deeply, but that was not an easy thing to do, and I was exhaling more than I was able to inhale.
8:38am: My water broke as I was pushing. The big moment was that much closer. Then it happened. The "ring of fire" which supposedly only lasts as long as the head passes through, but lasts, for me, until baby is out. But this is where it got...fun... (not really.)

(Every time I am informed that the baby's head is out, it's kind of a let down. It feels like that part takes forever, and surely I got the whole baby out with the effort that I've been making, and isn't the rest of the baby supposed to just slip right out behind the head?! Yeah, no.)

This time was even more "fun", because nothing happened after the head was out. I waited for a contraction to come, I couldn't continue without one, and where was it? And, gosh, this is really unpleasant, and remember how I said the burning lasts until the whole baby is out? I finally couldn't take it anymore, and I start trying to push anyway, hoping it would bring on another contraction. Heather helped my efforts by guiding (but more like pulling) the baby out of me, which finally brought on that final contraction, followed by the relief, and the heaviest little weight being set in my arms, and Mr. Boss repeating over and over "It's a boy! We have another boy!" And even though I had been hoping for another girl, to hear we had a boy just sounded so right. And I just sat there in the water, with this baby in my arms, realizing what I had just accomplished and wondering why this boy felt so heavy, and hoping that none of my future babies get stuck like he did, because that was the most unpleasant thing to have ever experienced.Really, my mind was going a million miles a minute, but not to the point where I couldn't ask the time of birth. 8:46 am. That's about 5 hours and 46 (or so) minutes after I woke up to discover it was "time". And that makes me happy (especially after the 33.5 hour time span between my water breaking and C being born.)That morning brought a whirlwind of emotions and thoughts, plus the exhaustion that comes with the work.
Now, one year later, I don't feel that kind of exhaustion, but I am experiencing a whirlwind of emotions and thoughts. It has been one year since that incredible morning.
It has been one year since my barrel-chested, 9lb 9oz boy entered this world
One year ago he seemed huge, and now he's even bigger.
One year ago his hair was dark and shaggy, now it is blonde and...shaggy.
One year ago he was brand new and helpless, now he is a strong-willed little stinker and the speediest crawler I've ever seen.
One year ago he radiated pure love. He still does today.

Happiest 1st Birthday, my little Porcupine!Thanks for choosing me to be your mama.

1 comment:

You are awesome! ♥