07 July 2010

our friday fun

Friday was a busy day at our house. It was the day I chose for Conrad's birthday party. (I chose that day because of the fireworks that were to be at Granite High that night.) For weeks (months, even) Conrad has been talking about his birthday and the fireworks, he was pretty excited.
The morning started out super busy. I was on my own to take care of the last minute shopping. That means I took my 3 kids, all by myself, to Costco. (Thank goodness for baby-wearing and Costco's double seater carts!) After that I still needed to run to Smith's, luckily I only had to take Zeke with me for that.
Once the shopping was done I got busy making a pasta salad, and blowing up some mini balloons for our party decor.Once our guests arrived it was time to fire up the grill. We had hot dogs, burgers, pasta salad, fruit salad, chips and a tasty guacamole (thanks, Sarah!) picnic style.After some eating and mingling we moved on to presents. It was fun to watch Conrad's excitement as he opened his gifts, and it was funny to see his cousins (4 months older and 3 months younger) trying to get in on the gift opening action.Then there was Ellie, who just wanted to wear one of the gift bags on her head. (Silly girl!)After presents it was time for the most important thing: CAKE! I have been thinking about Conrad's birthday, and what I would do, for months. It was driving me crazy, because I really wanted to do something fun, like last year. It finally came to me one day at Costco. I was browsing through their book section and saw a couple of cupcake decorating books. I picked one up and thumbed through it, and one picture made my heart skip a beat. I was so excited, I finally knew what I would do for his cake, and it was so simple!
ta-da!
I used a devil's food cake, vanilla frosting (dyed green), green sprinkles, brown peanut m&m's, chocolate icing and sour patch watermelon candies.
Cute, right? And delicious!
Mr. Boss was so cute, he sang the Happy Birthday song to Conrad. Solo. (It just didn't feel right to jump in...)
this is just after Conrad blew out his candle

Then we munched our cupcakes. Ellie enjoyed hers, can you tell?
After that we all hung out until it started to get dark. We made our way to Granite about 45 minutes before the fireworks started. Conrad was so excited. "We're gonna watch fireworks for my birthday!" It was painfully cute.During the show, Conrad put his hand on Mr. Boss's shoulder, "Papa, we're watchin' fireworks for my birthday!" Then, he put his hand on papa's cheek to turn his head back towards the explosions, "Papa, watch the fireworks!"
Zeke slept, soundly, through the whole thing
Afterward we came home and got ready for bed. They were out within 5 minutes. (Ellie was so tired she'd actually fallen asleep during the fireworks.)
all tuckered out

How did you celebrate this weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like Conrad had an awesome birthday party! Those cupcakes were adorable! We went to Granite early (mainly because we weren't sure if the kids would make it the whole time, and Brook was talking about it all week). Brooklynn freaked out (bad) during the show, so we ducked out early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/7/10 20:39

    CUte Cupcakes! How fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

You are awesome! ♥