16 August 2010

journal entry - July 23, 2005

In 2005, after graduating high school, my younger sister (then 8) and I took a trip to visit some of our family who live in the tropical paradise, Costa Rica. This summer many members of my extended family will be in Costa Rica, to celebrate my Abuelito's (grandfather's) 80th birthday. Because I can't be there, I thought I would go back and read about some of my experiences from my trip there 5 years ago. And I've decided to share some of my old journal entries with you.

I was just outside, thinking. In an email I wrote to mom, I mentioned the shortage of food here. She lamented. [Apparently they're in a similar boat] at home, because money's been tight. Well, while I was outside thinking, I [began to imagine] myself at home.
It's dark. Everyone is in bed. I sneak upstairs and look through the kitchen--no milk in the fridge, no eggs, no butter. No cereal in the cupboard, no bread. [What would we have for breakfast in the morning?]
I grab the keys that have the fresh values card, and hop into the Subaru and head to the store. While there I purchase 2 gallons of milk, a carton of eggs, cereal, bread, bisquick, butter, lunch meat, miracle whip and a few other items I deem to be essential. Afterward I take my purchases home and put everything away. Then I go back to my room to sleep.

Some days I think about taking Becca out to Wendy's, or something, to eat. Just me and her. Or I think about taking Stephanie wherever she wants to go, just to have a day together.
It is interesting to me...how being away from your loved ones causes you to appreciate them more. It deepens your love for them and let's you see just how lucky you are to have them in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome! ♥