16 December 2009

cravings and a great gift idea

Pickles. I have always been a fan of pickles, but lately it has become more of an obsession. Even more than chocolate I've wanted pickles. (Is that blasphemy?)
With Conrad it was tomatoes. Just plain tomatoes, chopped up and sprinkled with a bit of salt and pepper. (Mmm, that sounds good...)
With Ellie it was tomatoes, again. Tomatoes with some freshly sliced mozzarella, fresh garlic, a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar. (It's heaven, really.)
I expected and assumed that I would be craving tomatoes again, and I might. Eventually. As for now it is pickles. Glorious pickles. Crisp, crunchy, tangy, vinegary, brine-y pickles.
On Saturday while grocery shopping I bought some. I had to. I walked past them in the aisle and it was like love at first sight. When I got home the love affair escalated. I ate every pickle from that jar. In one night. Oh, it was a beautiful thing. Except I was out of pickles, and I wanted more. More!
Last night I was in desperation, but not quite to the point of braving the cold to run to the store. Plus, Mr. Boss asked me not to leave. Thankfully, marvelously, lovingly, he made it up to me this evening by running to the store and purchasing 2 large jars of the most spectacular pickles. Only one jar was opened, and only 2 remain. I haven't eaten them all, though. Mr. Boss and the children had a few. Like three or four. I did eat the rest. And I'll probably finish off the jar before the night is over.
They are so good.

Also, I read about this sweet family a few weeks ago, and have been wanting to mention them since. They recently lost their little boy, who'd been struggling with some serious medical problems for his whole life. Reading about him and seeing the pictures they posted, it broke my heart.
In honor of their little angel they are asking for readers to send baby legs, which will be donated to the hospital where their little boy received his medical care.
They're accepting donations until 12/21, I believe. Here's the shipping address if you're interested.
This is also a great idea for a Christmas gift. They have this that you can print out and give to someone to let them know you made a donation in their name. What an awesome gift it would be!

2 comments:

  1. i am not a fan of pickles, however i could see that becoming a craving for me if i get pregnant someday. i don't know why, but i can see it happening. i love tomatoes though.. mmmm. i am afraid i will start to hate all the things i love and love all the things i hate. sigh. oh well. and so sad about that family..i will have to go check out that story. you are so sweet for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ewwwwww. pickles are gross. blah blah blah. i love you. give kisses and hugs to the littles for me.

    ReplyDelete

You are awesome! ♥