Homework 3.3
If you were giving just one book to an infant grandchild, what would it be?
I don't think I could pick just one. There are so many children's books out there that I love. I'll tell you about them.
--First of all, I am a huge fan of anything by Sandra Boynton. Her books are darling. The illustrations are simple, yet fun and interesting. Her stories are easily memorized, and don't get annoying or old with repetition. In fact, part of Conrad's bedtime routine includes reciting Boynton's Bedtime Book to him. You can't go wrong with one of these.
--Stellaluna by Janell Cannon is another goody. I don't remember when I was introduced to this book, but I know it became a favorite in our home as soon as it was discovered. It's a silly and sweet story about a baby bat who is separated from her mother. She meets a family of birds and they become friends. Eventually the baby bat is reunited with her mother and it is just all around goodness.
--There are several books by someone called Olivier Dunrea. We own one called Gossie & Gertie, but there are others that I've seen at the library and at bookstores. The stories are simple and cute, and the illustrations are lovely. The characters are these sweet little ducklings (or are they goslings?) They have funny adventures and are cute little friends.
--Don & Audrey Wood make some wonderful stories. They include The Napping House, Piggies, and The Big Hungry Bear. Again, great illustrations and super fun stories. For a while one of my younger sisters could recite The Big Hungry Bear from memory. (That was about the cutest thing I've ever witnessed.) These books absolutely belong on the nursery book shelf.
--Eric Carle. We all know this man has produced some incredible books. The Very Hungry Caterpillar, anyone? And then there are the collaborations with Bill Martin Jr. for Brown Bear, Brown Bear and the rest.
--Love You Forever by Robert Munsch makes me cry. It didn't used to. I remember mom would cry when she'd read it to us, and I never quite understood why. That is, until I had babies of my very own. Now I'm just as sensitive about lovey stories as mom is. And there is nothing wrong with that!
--Finally, another book that I have trouble reading from time to time. Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney. The illustration are by Anita Jeram, and I love them very much. They make me wish I were a better artist. I want to make cute pictures like hers. Anyway, this book, Oh! This book. It's the bedtime story of Little Nutbrown Hare and his daddy, Big Nutbrown Hare. LNbH is trying to let BNbH know just how much he loves him. "I love you as high as I can reach," but BNbH is bigger, and loves his baby even more. "I love you as high as I can reach." LNbH simply cannot compete, but he continues to try and find a way to show his dad that he loves him much more. It is precious, darling, one of my very favorite books on the kids shelf.
All of these books come highly recommended, by yours truly. But this is not the final list. There are so many great and wonderful children's books out there (and some really corny ones that I shall never recommend.) These are just a few that I wanted to share with you.
There's a monster at the end of this book. Hands down. I love that book. Infant, toddler, preschooler, 3rd grader, 28 year old... everyone loves that book.
ReplyDeleteGreat suggestions. Your post inspired me to start my Christmas list (I always give books.) Thanks!
ReplyDeleteCrissy—I have a question for you. How do you link your assignments to me? I keep getting that question, and the only way I know is to cut and paste the address. It shows up as a link in my email, but not on the comment section of my blog. I'd like other readers to be able to click onto somebody's assignment easily. Yours is so easy to click onto. Thanks!
ReplyDelete